Charles William Ashwell
Name: Charles William Ashwell
1884 - 18th May 1917
Place of Birth: Tottenham
Occupation: Timber Porter
Division: 1st Battalion
Regiment: Royal Dublin Fusilliers
Commemorated: Gen 7346 (Screen Wall), Tottenham Cemetery, London, England
Person(s) placing the cross on behalf of the Arlesey Remembers You Project: Clive Wilde & Mick Holloway
Charles William Ashwell was born in Tottenham, London in 1883, the son of George and Charlotte Ashwell. George was a Policeman and Charles worked as a timber porter.
On 24th March 1901 Charles married Edith Caroline Clapham at the Register Office in Edmonton, and they had 4 children; Edith Eveline born in 1907, Charles William born in 1909, Leonard Stanley born in 1910 and Joseph Henry born in 1914. At the time of the 1911 census the family were living at 8 Greyhound Road, Tottenham.
Charles joined the 1st Battalion of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers on 25th January 1915 and served as part of the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force. THE MEF was part of the British Army that commanded all Allied Forces at Gallipoli and Salonika. Charles was injured during battle on the 16th September 1915 while serving in Gallipoli. He was first taken to Malta before being admitted to the 4th London General Hospital on 12th October. He was discharged from the Army as medically unfit for service on 5th April 1916.
The Medical Board report reads “Charles was in action in Dardanelles on 4th Sept 1915 and received a gunshot wound to the spine and chest. He lost the use of his legs directly after being struck and then coughed up blood for the following 2 days. He has never regained the use of his legs or control of sphincters. Injury to mid-dorsal vertebrae. Paraplegia complete”.
Charles died on 18th May 1917 after never fully recovering from his injuries. He is buried in Tottenham Cemetery.
Charles is commemorated on the Arlesey War Memorial as his parents had moved to Arlesey when George retired from the Police Force. Both George and Charlotte were originally from Henlow. In 1911 the census reports them as living on the High Street, Arlesey. A later address is given at St Peter’s Terrace.